Clairton’s Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE) welcomes new students each year. We collaborate with teachers to ensure that students are challenged in ways appropriate to their abilities while inside the regular classroom. Students are also offered pull-out (enrichment) classes along with the opportunity to participate in Academic Events offered in and around the city. These events allow students to not only collaborate with each other but to also compete in friendly events that focus on Math, Science, History, Technology and Creativity.
Mentally gifted is defined as “outstanding intellectual and creative ability, the development of which requires specially designed programs or support services, or both, not ordinarily provided in the regular education program.” Your child may be eligible for gifted education if your child:
- Is a year or more above grade achievement level for the normal age group in one or more subjects
- Demonstrates an observed or measured rate of acquisition/retention of new academic content or skills that reflect gifted ability
- Demonstrates achievement, performance, or expertise in one or more academic areas
- Shows early and measure use of high level thinking skills, academic creativity, leadership skills, intense academic interest areas, communication skills, foreign language aptitude, or technology expertise
- Has documented, observed, validated, or assessed evidence that intervening factors are masking gifted ability
If you feel that your child may qualify for Gifted and Talented Education Services, please contact the Special Education Office and submit a verbal or written referral.
Crystal L. Vogstberger
Special Education Supervisor