Directions for Volunteers & Mentors in the Clairton City School District
Clairton City School District encourages the involvement of parents and guardians as volunteers in our schools. As of 8/25/15, Pennsylvania State Law (Act 15) has required that every volunteer who will be in direct contact with students have the necessary clearances on file with our school district. Direct Contact with Children, as defined by State Law, is the “care, supervision, guidance or control of children or routine interaction with children.” As a result, any parent or guardian volunteering for field trips, classroom parties, book fairs, band and music trips, etc. will be required to obtain clearances. The necessary clearances are:
- Act 151 – Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Act 34 – Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- Act 114 – FBI Federal Criminal History Record: You can request a waiver from the Superintendent’s Office if you meet the following two criteria:
- You have lived in Pennsylvania for all of the previous 10 years
- You have never been convicted of a Disqualifying Offense
The cost of obtaining Act 151 and Act 34 are $10 each, but Pennsylvania has agreed to waive the fee for volunteers. The cost of the FBI Clearance is $27, but please see the above information about applying for a waiver. The clearances typically take between two to three weeks to be processed and information is included below as to how you can apply for your clearances. In addition, the new State Law also states volunteers must notify the District within 72 hours if they are arrested or convicted of a Disqualifying Offense.